Wicks and Wilson
8800-Series Microfilm Scanners
Production Microfilm Scanners for
16mm and 35mm Microfilm Rolls
Originally designed by Wicks and Wilson and now manufactured by The Crowley Company, the Scanstation 8800 microfilm scanner series features the latest in digitization and image processing technology. The 8800-Series scanners are capable of automatic batch conversions off 35mm or 16mm microfilm and outputting them to high-quality grayscale and bitonal images. Designed specifically for microfilm scanning, the illumination and optical path, advanced new camera system and unique image processing algorithms of the 8800-Series provide excellent imaging results from all types and formats of roll film.
Two series models — the 8850 and 8820 — feature innovative digitizing and image processing technologies to convert all formats of microfilm while offering an intuitive interface and automation tools to further minimize training and operation time while maximizing throughput.
100% Quality Assurance
Access Images Anywhere, Anytime
The 8800 microfilm scanner series models are compatible with Crowley’s IMAGEhost microfilm image retrieval platform. IMAGEhost allows users to view microfilm or microfiche collections in their original format from any internet-enabled device and is a cost-sensible alternative to creating large data infrastructures for image access.
- Scan speeds of up to 350 frames per minute on the 8850 model
- Digitizes all types of 16 mm and 35 mm microfilm including cartridges
- Automated image location, using up to four levels of blip codes or document edges
- NVIDIA-based image processing with custom microfilm imaging algorithms
- Instant on-screen display, providing a real-time view which eliminates the need to rescan
- Full compatibility with Virtual Scanstation – the custom off-line QA tool that dramatically enhances workflow, accuracy and productivity
- A custom-designed lens, offering greater resolving power across all film types
- A holographic diffuser in the 8800-Series’ distinctive illumination system for superior results from every scan
- Microfilm image processing tools for consistent image results, including intelligent thresholding, gamma correction and auto white balance
- A project set-up feature, allowing all imaging and scanning settings to be recorded and saved for future projects
Looking for more digitization product options? View all Crowley’s available microfilm scanners.
- Blog: U.K. Service Bureau Has 20-Year-Success with Wicks and Wilson Scanners
- White Paper: Estimating Microfilm Images
- White Paper: Dealing with our Aging and Deteriorating Microfilm Collections
- Vertical Sheet: County Government Solutions and Sample Clients
- Vertical Sheet: State Archive Solutions and Sample Clients
- News story: Salamanca Press archives digitized through library microfilm project
- News story: How Tom Tryniski digitized nearly 50 million pages of newspapers in his living room
- Case study: One Man. One Machine. 26M newspaper images.
8800-Series Microfilm Scanner PC Specifications
|Processor||Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 or AMD Phenom X4 Quad-Core 9900|
|Memory||Recommended – 16 GB or more|
|Hard Drives||Raid 0 array for data or a hard disk system capable of being written to a 90 MB per second or higher. A separate SATA hard disk for the Windows installation.|
|CD Drive||Required. DVD software included; electronic delivery upon request|
|Monitor*||No recommended setting|
|Graphics Card||Current graphic card supplied with controller PC if purchased from Crowley is a nVidia GTX 1050Ti. This has 768 CUDA Cores and 4GB of memory. These two items within its specification are essential to the 8800-Series performance. If any other nVidia GTX card is purchased, please be sure the specification of these two items are the same level or exceeded.|
|Operating System||Windows 10 Pro (64 bit only with Intel Processor)|
|PCI Express Slot**||Spare full height slot required for Cameralink Interface (included)|
|USB Interface||Not required|
*The 8850 software can use a dual monitor set-up
**PCIe slot is required in addition to a slot for the graphics card
The Crowley Company pursues a policy of continuous product improvement and reserves the right to change these specifications without notice.