Crowley’s Hybrid Approach
Crowley Imaging Digitizes using QuantumScan;
You Process with QuantumProcess
Get a Quote on The Hybrid Approach
Exclusive to The Crowley Company, there is a little-known third option for digitizing microform (microfilm, microfiche, aperture cards): outsourcing the digitization and processing the images in-house. We call this the hybrid approach and it consists of two basic steps:
- The client’s source microform media is delivered to Crowley Imaging to be digitized by service bureau professionals using Mekel Technology MACH-series production microform scanners and Mekel’s custom QuantumScan software.
- The unprocessed digital images are returned to the client via a predetermined method of transfer, along with the original material. The client then processes and outputs the images in-house using Mekel Technology QuantumProcess software, which can be downloaded on a standard PC. Quantum software licenses can be purchased on a yearly basis or rented for a period of time specified by the client.
- Requires significantly less labor and investment on the part of the client than purchasing a scanner* to perform the digitization in-house
- Can be much more cost-effective than outsourcing the entire project
- Requires less labor on the part of Crowley Imaging, resulting in client savings. This cost savings can be allocated toward the purchase or rental of a QuantumProcess software license and the cost of labor to process the images in-house. Surplus funds equal the total amount saved using the hybrid approach.
- Allows for significant control by the client over image enhancement, quality assurance (QA), processing and final image output
- Allows the client to return to the unprocessed digital images for re-processing and re-formatting if necessary
*Savings vary. Ask your Crowley representative to provide the most cost-effective options for your particular archive or record collection. As a scanner distributor and manufacturer as well as a conversion bureau, The Crowley Company is in a unique position to offer multiple solutions from a single source.
Watch the Hybrid Scanning Video to see the approach in action!
If you’d like to learn more about the hybrid approach, Crowley conversion services or microform scanning equipment options, give us a call at (240) 215-0224 or fill out this form.